How do I Upload Form 3921 to the IRS FIRE System?
Section 6039 of the IRS code requires that Employers report any Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option using Form 3921 to both the individual participant and to the IRS. Both of these requirements can be fulfilled using Corporate Focus by using the Form 3921 – Substitute Participant Form and Form 3921 – Electronic Filing reports.
Outlined below are the IRS electronic filing requirements for Form 3921. Included are the steps to generate the file in Corporate Focus, as well information on where the eFile can be uploaded.
Before you can upload your 3921 electronic filing, you will first need to:
- Check with your HR or Accounting department to ensure they do not have a TCC or FIRE code. If they do, send the ASCII file to them and they can upload it to FIRE for you.
- Create an IRS FIRE System account. You can register your account at fire.irs.gov
- Generate the required ASCII file using Corporate Focus. For complete instructions, click here.
- Your browser’s Privacy Settings need to be lowered to Accept All Cookies.
Once you have the ASCII file from Corporate Focus, follow the steps below to upload the file to the IRS:
- Navigate to fire.irs.gov.
- Click the Log On link and then enter your user name and password.
- Navigate to the Main Menu and select Send Information Returns. Here is an example of this screen:
- Enter your Transmitter Control Code (TCC) and your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and then click Submit.
- Confirm that the system is displaying the correct contact information. If not, make the required changes. Once all information is correct, click Accept. Here is an example of this screen:
- Under the Choose a File Type heading choose Original File.
- On The Legalese screen enter the PIN that was set when the FIRE Account was created. If you have forgotten your PIN call the number on the screen. Here is an example of the Legalese screen:
- Once you have your PIN enter it, and then click Submit.
- Now you can browse for your file and upload it accordingly. You will receive a notification confirming that your upload was successful.
In the event that you need to submit corrections, please contact Two Step Software at 1-800-223-8900, press 2 for assistance.
Please note – Two Step Software will generate the corrected file based in the information provided by the customer and can assist with any software related questions. Two Step Software cannot validate the data that is provided, or make any recommendations on how to become compliant.
For more information on Form 3921 requirements, see the Corporate Focus Insight blog post on Section 6039 filing requirements.